Its pretty incredible that as London cyclists, such a monumental event is going to take place right in our backyard. Now comes the dilemma for me - do I book the day off work and venture out with friends to camp up on box hill armed with a serious camera - or do I work and help distribute the images from the race, calling on my encyclopedic (err.... scary as colleague prefer to say) knowledge of riders and teams? Well I guess I have over a year to mull things over! Anyway the full route is as follows >
- Heading south-west from The Mall taking in Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham to cross the Thames at Putney Bridge and into Wandsworth.
- Continuing into Richmond and into Richmond Park en route to Richmond Bridge where the race again crosses the Thames.
- Heading south and through Bushy Park to Hampton Court Palace and Hampton Court Bridge where the race enters Surrey.
- A large loop in Surrey taking in Walton on Thames, Weybridge, West Byfleet, West Horsley and Dorking.
- From Dorking the race repeats a challenging 15.5km circuit around Box Hill including the National Trust’s Zig Zag Hill. This loop will be repeated multiple times for the men’s and women’s events.
- The race then returns to central London through Leatherhead, Esher, Hampton Court, Kingston and Richmond Park before using the same route back to The Mall.