1) Carry a tube, mini pump patches and CO2!Its essential you are prepared for a non-stressed flat fix. Ensure that between your group you have enough supplies for a couple of punctures, our group escaped with only one last year, but be prepared for the unknown surfaces.
2) A generous slather of suncream goes a long way.Last year temps were around 20 degrees, and we came home with gnarly sunburn on our arms. Dont underestimate the power of the suns rays just because its springtime.
3) Wear suitable shoes/cleats.This year il be wearing my commuter sidi mtb spd's - as last year I had my ride ruined by the fact id worn speedplays and mud had clogged my cleats meaning I couldn't engage the pedal, resulting in my sitting almost in tears trying to dig mud out with a twig, only for it to clog up further down the road. Even though the roads and tracks should be dry, there are some mudded sections completely covered by trees, so they will remain damp whatever the conditions.
4) Ride safe, ride smart!Its not a race with prizes, so don't ride with undue care causing danger to those fellow riders around you. Also the drag out there takes a fairly main road through and out Barnet. Here you will be sharing roads with weekend traffic. Ride courteously and safely - this isn't part of the ride to show off your 'awesome' overtaking skills and bike based road-rage. Save that for the grave!
5) If you see anyone struggling, offer some words of encouragement or offer a hand in a mechanical situation.
6) Look out for the pink arrows on the road, otherwise be prepared for some hard iphone map reading lessons!
Hell of the North II. Recce. from RAPHA on Vimeo.
| Pond Square, Highgate 9am
19 – Crews Hill (Attention! Sharp turn + potholes abound)
18 – Paradise Wildlife Park
17 – Highfield Wodd
16 – Ermine St.
15 – Balls Wood
14 – Balls Park
13 – Morgan’s Walk
12 – Clements Farm
11 – Edwards Green
10 – Old Claypits Farm
09 – Ponsbourne Park
08 – Hertfordshire Way
07 – Warrenwood Park (Attention!)
06 – Potwells
05 – Mymshall/Redwell Wood (Tough)
04 – South Mimms/M25/Dancers Hill
03 – Crossoaks Farm
02 – High Canons
01 – Holmshill (Attention!)